Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Thursday, November 5, 2020

The power of a thank you


                                                        


“It’s not fair!  Why can’t we stop for ice cream?  We never get to do anything fun.” I heard those words as I was driving a van with another teacher in the front seat and 12 unhappy middle school students in the back.


I promptly reminded the students that they had just spent the day at the Baltimore Aquarium. I  proceeded to give a lecture on how they should be grateful that the other teacher and I had driven 2 hours to Baltimore so that they could enjoy the Aquarium. My lecture was successful in stopping the demand for ice cream.  Instead, the students sulked in silence for the remaining 20 minutes of the ride home. Although I was not folding my arms and scowling, inwardly I was feeling weary and discouraged. It had been a long day and a lot of work had gone into planning the field trip.


When we pulled into the school parking lot, the students got out of the van and ran off to greet their waiting parents. One boy remained behind.  He walked over to me and said, “Thank you, Miss Furlong, for taking us to the Baltimore Aquarium.  It really was a fun day.” My heart melted as I told him that he was welcome and how happy I was that we could do this.


It was amazing how hearing the words “thank you” changed my whole perspective on the day.  It had been a lot of work.  Yes, it is true that our good works should be done to please God.  And it is true that the field trip was part of my job. But, even so, it felt good to hear a heartfelt thank you from one of my students.  I drove home feeling light hearted. Yes, it had been a good day.


How often we neglect to take the time to thank the people in our lives. The mailman who always rings the door bell instead of leaving a package on the door step. The waitress who is extra attentive and cheerful. The friend who is always there to listen.  The list can go on. 


During the month of November let’s make a conscious effort to notice the many kindnesses of the people who surround us.  And let’s take the extra step of telling them how much we appreciate them. A word of heartfelt thanks can make someone’s day.



1 comment:

Snarling Dogs

    “But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” Ps...