Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, February 27, 2021

Sparrows

                      


                                                                    Sparrows

 

When I scroll through Facebook, I always pause at nature photos.  Recently, I came across a number of posts featuring  birds from all over the world. One photo of Grandalas birds from India particularly captured my attention. The photo showed a number of small blue birds in a tree. The color of the birds was a strikingly brilliant shade of blue. I shared the post and got many “likes”.  Other viewers were also intrigued by these beautiful birds.

 

When Jesus walked on the earth, He often referenced things in nature to illustrate God’s character. When He taught about the depth of the Father’s care for us, He said that not one sparrow falls to the ground without the Father noticing. (Matthew 10:29).

 

Sparrows.  They are found in every continent of the world except Antarctica . There are sparrows in cities as well as in the country.  They are tiny and brown.  They are ordinary. Somehow, I doubt that I would get as many “likes” for a photo of a sparrow as I did for the exotic blue birds from India. Yet, it is the lowly sparrow that God chose to mention in the New Testament.

 

Some people in our world are like the brilliant blue Grandalas birds from India. They stand out in physical beauty or in talent. They capture the world’s attention. Like the exotic blue birds, they are admired by many.

 

Most of us, however, are more like the sparrow.  Ordinary.  We live out our lives but may never be showcased on tv or written about in the newspaper. Yet, like the sparrow, the Father’s eye is on us.

 

I am glad that when Jesus described the Father’s tender care, He spoke of sparrows. God loves the ordinary as well as the exotic. 

 

The next time you look outside and see a sparrow, pause and thank the Father for His tender care.

2 comments:

  1. Diane, am sure you have heard this poem,.,,
    “Said the robin to the sparrow, I should really like to know, Why these anxious human beings rush about and worry so. Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend, I think that it must be, That they have no heavenly Father such as cares for you and me.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a great poem. What always comes into my mind when I think of sparrows is Ethel Waters singing “His eye is on the sparrow”

      Delete

Snarling Dogs

    “But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” Ps...