Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Thursday, April 29, 2021

A Burglar in the House?

 

                                                                                                                                    

 

                                               

 

                                                    

Intense sharp barking in the middle of the night could only mean one thing. There was a burglar in the house! And in the minds of the two little dogs the burglar was me! 

 

How was I - a mild mannered senior adult - mistaken for a burglar?  I was pet sitting for my friend’s two dogs. During the day, I had fed the dogs, taken them outside, given them treats.  At the end of the evening, I sat on the sofa peacefully watching a movie with a dog leaning on either side of me.  It was apparent that they liked and trusted their “substitute dog mom”. Then, when I got up to use the restroom in the middle of the night, they appeared to have forgotten who I was.  They were convinced that I was a stranger in the house who intended to do harm.

 

So often we are like that with God.  He gives us gifts every day.  In the good times, we sit with Him and enjoy His company.  Sometimes, in His sovereignty, He allows difficulties to enter our lives. How quick we are to doubt His goodness. How quick we are to forget all the gifts that He gave us the day before. Instead, we are convinced that He intends to harm us.  

 

Back to the dog story...Are you wondering how I convinced the dogs that I was not a burglar? I spoke the words beloved by dogs everywhere - “Do you want a treat?”  The barking stopped in an instant and two little dogs were sitting at my feet with eyes pierced on the treat container in my hand. I gave them the treats, petted them and took a little time to reacquaint them with their “substitute dog mom”. When I got up the next morning, two little dogs with wagging tails greeted me.

 

How does God respond when I question His goodness and believe that His plans for me are harmful? Often God responds with kindness.  Romans 2:4 says “It’s His kindness that leads us to repentance”.  He continues to give us good gifts. A beautiful sunrise. A phone call from a friend. Just the right song on the radio. A delicious meal. Sweet smelling flowers.  He opens our eyes to the good things in our lives each day. He kindly reminds us of His love and His care for us. As we gaze upon Him, we sit at His feet and trust Him once more.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Snarling Dogs

    “But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” Ps...