Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Friday, May 20, 2022

A Cheerful Greeting


                                                               


“A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up bones.” Proverbs 17:22(NIV)


“And how are you on this fine day?”  Those words were spoken by a MacDonald’s server. She looked each customer in the eye and greeted each person with warmth.


At that time, I was working in home health. Often, I would go into a fast food restaurant, grab a cup of coffee, and work on notes. I was having a bad day.  I don’t remember the specifics, but I do remember feeling weary, discouraged, and stressed. As I stood in line, I listened to the server greeting each successive customer. My mood began to lift and my stress began to decline. When it was my turn to be served, I could honestly say, “I am doing just fine. Thanks for asking”.


Ten years have passed since that day, but whenever I drive past that MacDonalds I still remember the server. I often wonder why I would think about someone whom I encountered so briefly so long ago. Every day, we all interact with strangers in restaurants, stores, and other places of business. Most employees have been trained to say “How are you?” and “Have a good day”. Many times, these words are spoken mindlessly, but this server sounded sincere. She seemed to view each customer as an individual. On that particular day, I needed someone to look me in the eye and to greet me with warmth. Perhaps, because my day was so dark, her greeting seemed to be so bright. It was a brief moment. I wouldn’t say that it was life changing, but it did change one day of my life. 


It also impacted the way I interact with the strangers I encounter in restaurants, stores, and other places of business. I will never know the details of their lives. I will never know their joys or hopes or heartaches. But I do know that the person behind the counter is precious in God’s eyes. I can’t change that person’s life, but I can choose to look the person in the eye when I speak to them. I can choose to speak kindly and cheerfully as I conduct my business. Even a little warmth on an ordinary day may be enough to lift a mood or decrease a stress level. In a small way, a warm greeting on an ordinary day can communicate the love of God to a stranger.








2 comments:

  1. It is so true how the greeting of one person can make a difference in your life for that day. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good reminder. Thank you. I try to remember to say to the cashier- server “ Thank you for serving me.”. When they acknowledge my comment.,.. I say “ God bless you”. I receive very positive response more often than not.
    D

    ReplyDelete

Snarling Dogs

    “But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” Ps...