Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Darkness Turns to Light




 


As I sat in my recliner, the darkness was so intense that I literally could not see my hand in front of my face. My routine was to get up at 5 a.m. and to enjoy a cup of coffee before I showered and began the day.  Suddenly, the electricity in the community went out. Not only did my living room lights go out, but also the outside street lights, and the little lights showing the time on the tv, microwave, and stove. There was not even a hint of light anywhere.  Just pure darkness.

As a good Floridian, I always have a supply of flashlights ready for hurricane season, but not one of them was within reach of my recliner.  I did not feel safe taking even one step away from my chair.  My plan was to remain in my recliner for the next hour or so until the sun rose. As it turned out, within 5 minutes the power was restored.  I got up and began my day.

My brief encounter with total darkness had two results. I promptly moved one of my many flashlights to the table next to the recliner. And from that day forward, I gleaned new meaning from Biblical references to darkness and light.

In John 8:12 Jesus says: “I am the light of the world.  He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

As I write this, I am retired and no longer have to get ready for work each day. However, I continue to rise at 5 a.m. and still enjoy my morning coffee in my comfortable chair.  Now, my routine is to walk in my gated community at 6 a.m.  I get to enjoy the end of night and the beginning of morning.

Every so often during my walk I will turn a corner and see a brilliant full moon in the western sky. I am not scientific and have never looked at the lunar calendar. For that reason, the full moon always comes as a complete surprise. I am struck anew at the beauty and wonder of God’s creation.

As I walked today, the moon was full and magnificent. The sky was cloudy. At times it looked as though the moon had disappeared. That was not true.  Even though I could not see it, the moon was always there.

Sometimes our lives appear dark. Our minds believe the lie that things will never get better, and that life is hopeless. We feel that God is far away. That is a lie.  God is always with us. 

Two thousand years ago God sent His Son into the world.  The Light of the World walked among us.  He promised that those who followed Him would not walk in darkness but would have the light of life. He came to bring us hope.

Cry out to Jesus.   He does not want us to walk in darkness.  His greatest desire is that we walk in His light. All we have to do is ask Him.

3 comments:

  1. Right now when I get up for work, it is completely dark outside. I like sunlight. So it is hard to get myself out of bed. BUT I know what is coming and the reality of the sunlight. Just as I know what is coming with Jesus and the reality of his SON LIGHT. He is still there with us even in the darkness and will be ALWAYS into the future and eternity. Thank you Diane for reminding me and encouraging me :)
    Diane Conway

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read the paragraph about our lives appearing dark and that life is hopeless, I instantly thought of all the people who do not know Jesus as their Savior. Where is their light? Where do they get their hope? They have no one to call on, no one to comfort them. How do they find peace?
    I feel such sadness for those who do not know Jesus. It is so simple to light up their lives. Just ask Him.
    You are spot on Diane. thank you for sharing your heart with others.
    Judy Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Tom Furlong:

    Light wins! The darkness can not overcome the light of Christ. Well done Diane! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Snarling Dogs

    “But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” Ps...