Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Arms Wide Open


                                  

“But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.” Luke 15:20


The little boy had been told not to throw the ball in the house, but he did it anyway. And now the vase lie broken on the floor. Tears rolled down his face. He heard the sound of his father’s footsteps. “I’m sorry,” he said through his sobs.


His father stood at the door. His arms were folded, his face full of anger. The little boy stood quivering.


Now imagine another father. He entered the room with the shattered vase and saw the boy’s tears. He heard the words “I’m sorry” and knew that the sorrow was genuine.  The father bent down and opened his arms.  The little boy ran into the father’s arms and felt his loving embrace.


The Bible tells us that our Heavenly Father is like the second father in our story.  In the parable of the prodigal son, the son took his inheritance and squandered it in a foreign land. He returned home penniless, hungry, and deeply regretting his actions.  The father would have been justified to turn the son away or to take him back merely as a hired servant.  Instead, the father ran to him with arms wide open. He welcomed the son back into his home.  The son was forgiven and loved.


How often when I sin I want to run away from God instead of towards Him. I picture God as a stern father with folded arms and an angry face. I think that I need to have a good excuse or to make myself better before I turn to Him. 


In reality, the Father is waiting with arms wide open. All I need to do is to admit that I was wrong and run into His open arms. Forgiveness and absolute acceptance is awaiting me there.  


Thank you, Lord, for your wide open arms and your unfailing love.



1 comment:

Snarling Dogs

    “But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” Ps...