Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Friday, January 29, 2021

Crossing the Footbridge


                     

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Psalm 119:105


The footbridge spanning the creek which runs through my community was shrouded in darkness. I had walked across that bridge many times during my early morning summer walks. But the days were getting shorter. The sun had not yet risen when I reached the bridge, and the street lights were too far away to shed any light. All I saw was darkness.


I hesitated for a minute, then stepped onto the bridge. To my surprise, bright lights illuminated the next three feet. As I crossed the lighted section, the motion detectors lit up three more feet. This pattern continued until I got to the end. I looked back and could see the entire bridge covered with lights.


Scripture describes God’s word as “a lamp to my feet and a light to my path”.  We serve a God who promises to guide us. He promises to light our path. Quite often, He only gives us enough light for the next few steps. When we obey, He shines light on a few more steps.  When it is all over, we can look back and see that the path was perfectly planned out.  Only then can we see the whole picture.


At the footbridge, the challenge for me was whether to take the first step. Is it safe? Will I stumble and fall? Will I be stranded in the middle of the bridge? If I had not taken the first step, I would have never known that there were motion detector lights.


Has God directed you to do something? Has He shown you a first step to take? Obey Him. Take the first step. He will continue to light your path, step by step. We can trust our ever faithful God. What step does He want you to take today?



2 comments:

Snarling Dogs

    “But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” Ps...